Sunday, January 7, 2018

LIFE AFTER DIVORCE - Episode 3

EPISODE 3 by Mina J. Moore

My phone cracked from how hard I squeezed it.  Imaging it was Travis’s head was helping me get my crap together.  Once I released the death grip on my eight hundred dollar phone, I took and deep breathe and answered. 

“Why don’t you go fuck yourself?” 

Not very lady like but I really didn’t care.  The nerve.  His smug laughter put me over the edge.  “You can talk to my lawyer asshole!”

I hung up and shot my phone a bird.  Then I proceeded to block his number and everything else with his name attached. 

Moments later I was wrapped in my fluffy robe with a second cup of brew in both hands.  The doorbell had me groaning but Sammy and Lila’s smiley faces made up for the fact I had to move again. 

They walked past me after making sure I was alive. 

Rolling my eyes I answered all their questions.  “Yes I do have a pulse. Anything else?”

They giggled and we plopped onto the couch and discussed our crazy night.

“That ass was staring at you the entire time.” Sammy griped.

I stared into my cup.  “And he called me about an hour ago.”

Lila spit her water out and Sammy’s head almost snapped off her head. 

“Say again?”

“Yep.  He had the nerve to call me and try to sweet talk me.  I told him to fuck off and call my lawyer if he needed something. I also blocked him.

Sammy fell back on the couch and barked a laugh.  “You go girl.  That’s what I told you to do the minute the divorce was finalized. That douche bag!”

Lila sat up straighter.  “Do you think that’s wise? He may need to talk to you some day.”

I smiled when Sammy looked at her like she had grown an eye on her forehead. 

“Why the hell would he ever need to talk to her?  Ever?” Sammy asked.

Watching Lila stutter around an uncomfortable topic was a joy.  Her mother was a classy woman, gently bred in her home country and polished with impeccable manners.  I loved her dearly.  Her daughter couldn’t help but inherit Cheong’s ways. 

Lila looked away, her short bob swinging in her face. “Well, what if he gets in trouble or still has you as his emergency contact?”

I smiled and brushed my friends hair aside.  “You are just too good, Lila, but I am out of his life.  It’s up to him to get his affairs in order now.” 

I could feel the heat from Sammy gaze burning a hole in my back.  “He was an asshole and while I don’t wish him any harm, I also don’t want anything to do with him.”

Lila nodded.  “I understand and he was an asshole.”

Sammy busted out laughing. “I’ll toast to that.”

We all raised our mugs.


The following week sped by in a blur.  Work was crazy and I didn’t have time to think.  Home life consisted of eating, bathing, working some more and going to sleep.  This gala for the firm was killing me.  As the Marketing Director, I was in charge of making it happen.  Thank god for my assistant, Keith.  He was the best designer in New York City and he refused to leave my side. 

I glanced at my watch and cringed at the time.  Keith would be waiting for me at the venue and one thing that set him off was waiting.   Grabbing my to go cup, I rushed out and kissed the doorman when he had a car waiting for me, the perks of working for a big name and living in the good part of town.  I had earned everyone single thing I had with late hours, some of which cost me my marriage. 

In truth my job had done me a favor.  Travis would never be a one- woman man even if I were home, barefoot and pregnant.  His various affairs came out at the end and all at the same time.  It had been enough to cause the explosion that followed. 

The city traffic whizzed by while I contemplated the last five years of my life.  Travis, the handsome lawyer with the big blue eyes, was a cheat and a liar.  I still don’t know how I didn’t see it before.  I smirked at my reflection.  He was a lawyer after all.   My phone brought me back to reality and an angry Keith.

“Tell me you are on your way up Jaclyn.” He scream whispered.

I took a breath.  Keith using my full name was not a good sign.  “I am getting off the car right now, darling.  I’ll see you soon.”  I clicked off before he could start in on the sermon of punctuality.

I waited for the elevator and smiled as I imagined him stomping his foot.  The doors opened and I stood rooted to the ground.  The man on the other side was alone and smiling at me as he walked out.  A quick nod and he was gone.  I looked after him, thinking he looked familiar.  Shaking my head I entered the elevator and pressed “rooftop”. 

I could hear Keith’s screeching as I walked out and into the most glorious vision.  This was true glam.  The pool gleamed from the end of the terrace while the attendants shuffled to dress the tables and perfect the lighting for the night to come.  I caught a dirty look from my assistant and gave him a big wink.

He disentangled himself from a hundred questions and made quick work of getting to me. 

I held up my hand.  “Before you start, let me just tell you this place looks spectacular.”

He huffed a bit, straightened his bowtie and managed to smile.  “Well, this brilliance doesn’t happen easily.” 

I kissed his cheek.  “You are truly a miracle.  Did the champagne fountain arrive?” 

Keith looked at the doorway where three more people shuffled in carring a tremendous bouquet of orchids.  “Careful people!  Those cost me a fortune.” 

He dashed away to direct the placement and I was glad he was back to normal.  We had coordinated hundreds of these events over the years and Keith always stressed incessantly but I wouldn’t trade him for the world. 

I checked off all of the items on my list. The catering, bartenders, waiters were all ready to go.  Keith was still buzzing around making last minute changes.    Making my exit quickly before he could change his mind about something else, I reached the elevator and ran right into a solid chest. 























No comments:

Post a Comment