Sunday, January 7, 2018

LIFE AFTER DIVORCE - Episode 2

EPISODE 2 by Mina J. Moore

Travis waltzed into the bar with a strapping red head that could rival Jessica Rabbit.  I glanced down at my B cups and hated her instantly. 
“Do you want me to go kick him in the nut-sack?  It would be my pleasure.” Sammy promised.

I smiled wickedly just at the thought of Travis hunched over and purple from the blow.  “You always know what to say.”

I cast a dirty look his way and waited.  The instant his eyes found me, I smiled and blew him a kiss making sure Ms. Rabbit got a load of it.  Once I was satisfied with the look of astonishment on their faces, I grabbed my girls and we hit the dance floor.  After shaking my ass in Travis’s face a few times too many, Ms. Rabbit was tugging him out of the bar and into the teeming streets.  I watched as she lectured and he hailed a cab.  My job was done.

Three hours and too many margaritas later, they dragged me up to my apartment and left but not before tucking me in and administering the magic tonic called Advil.


The most excruciating siren woke me up the next morning.  I grappled with my phone wanting to push all the buttons just to make the damn thing shut off then I realized it was one of many ambulances swarming the streets of New York City.  It wouldn’t have phased me any other day.  God was merciful and the hideous noise faded quickly.  My face was numb and I could barely blink without crying.  I reached for the night table and wanted to kiss Sammy for leaving my sunglasses right were she knew I would need them.  The dimness they offered was a dream.  Opening my eyes I squinted at first then managed to make out the thin light peaking from the crack in the curtains.  I was going to kill Sammy for letting me drink that much.

Was I brave enough to sit?  My stomach didn’t think so.  For the next hour I laid like a statue praying to feel better.  After some test movements, I lifted my head and cringed.

One more hour and I was back at the moving stuff.  I had managed to fall back asleep and it was like starting over again.  If I wanted a nice hot shower I was going to have to sit and walk to the bathroom.  No choices here.

I convinced myself and stood very slowly.  My brain was doing summersaults in my head.  Once it calmed down, I waddled over and turned on the shower.  Undressing was a joy; the bending and up again.

The steaming water made me moan with bliss and after another half hour, I felt a bit revitalized.  The smell of coffee coming from my automatic love just outside my room had me shuffling over to pour a cup.  It helped with the wooziness and lifted me up some.  I jumped as my phone vibrated like a junky on my counter.  I didn’t recognize the number and thought about not picking up until I remembered the last time this had happened when Sammy managed to rear end a cop and used his phone to call me.

“Hello.” I answered anxiously.

“Hi doll.  You looked fantastic last night.”






No comments:

Post a Comment